CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Blogging with a new purpose

I have struggled with what to say on my blog. My daughter in law Sarah suggested that I share some of the recipes I use in the cooking class that I teach. That simple suggestion made me so happy (thanks Sarah). I love to cook, and I love my cooking class. We teach each other and learn easy family friendly recipes that are healthy and tasty. So here are two recipes that have been tried and tested and worked with the 10 women who attend my enrichment cooking class.

Vegetable Salsa
I add the following vegetables chopped fine. You can add any vegetable you desire. This recipe can be easily personalized to fit your families likes.
Green Pepper
Red Pepper
Green Onions
Black Olives
Avocado
Tomatoes
If you like it hot you can add jalapenos.
1 can of either black beans, pinto beans or black eyed peas rinsed and drained.
Salt to taste
Lime juice to taste
Touch of red wine vinegar (we discussed this allot as we make it as a family and decided it needed to stay)
Cilantro
Green chile's
Any of the above ingredients can be deleted. This is a very mild salsa. It is healthy, non fat, and no points for the weight watchers. This may not be a salsa at all, but it's great with chips.
Bow Tie Chicken Pasta
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
1 small sweet red pepper, julienned (which means cut into small strips)
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 small onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend (I use season salt)
1 Cup bow tie pasta cooked and drained
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese. (This is different from the powdery Parmesan in the green can)
In a large nonstick skillet, saute' chicken in oil for 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In same skillet, stir-fry red pepper and zucchini, onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
Add peas and seasonings; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add pasta and tomatoes; cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in chicken. Sprinkle with cheese.
Serves 4
If you have any questions about these recipes let me know and I will try to help you with them.
They both look beautiful and are delicious. I will try to do pictures in the future.

2 comments:

the Rew Crew said...

Excellent! I can't tell you how nice it will be to have a place to look for new recipes. I'm going to try that bow tie chicken--it looks easy and good.

rip said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am always up for healthy easy recipes. I am excited to try those!